4.13.2012

Cooking Cutie: Easy Guacamole


I haven't written a cooking post in so long, but yesterday, I made guacamole for the first time since last summer (!). I decided to go ahead and take some pictures to share with you guys. Because, who doesn't need a good guac recipe?

You'll need: 
♥ 1 ripe avocado
♥ 1 lime
♥ 1 wedge of lemon*
♥ 1/2 of a tomato
♥ salt and pepper
♥ garlic powder (or crushed garlic, if you prefer)
♥ chili powder

*I keep a lemon in my fridge and slice of wedges as I need it. I find it's a good method!


Start by halving your avocado and twisting it to pull one side away from the pit. Use a knife to slice it lengthwise and then crosswise while it's still in the skin. Use a spoon to peel it out of the skin. I don't bother to toss any bruised parts as I don't find they taste any different! To get the pit out, I just push on it from one side over the trash can. I find this is safer than trying to get it out with a knife. 


Add your lime! Limes can be rather firm, so I find they take a lot of effort to get lots of juice from. If I'm having trouble, I'll take a spoon and use it to press on the inside. 


Then add your lemon! Once you've added the lemon and lime, you can mash up the avocado with a form. I don't try to get it too smooth, since that's almost impossible and you'll just drive yourself crazy. 



Time to dice up 1/2 a tomato and add it! I save the other half in a plastic bag in the fridge. To dice, I cut the half into quarters and then cut ou the inner membrane and seeds. This keep the guacamole from getting too wet and going bad. Plus, no one really likes eating tomato seeds! Then I just slice them, skin side down. 




It's spice time! I only usually add garlic powder, salt and pepper, and chili powder. You can definitely use crushed or minced garlic if you like, or you can chop up a glove fresh if you like. I prefer the powder because it adds the flavor of garlic without me worrying if someone's (ok, me) going to get a giant piece of garlic!! Chili powder just adds a bit of spice. 


Once you've added your spices, do a final mix and put a lid on it! If you like, you can sprinkle on a bit more lemon juice, just to make sure the avocado doesn't brown too much. However, I don't really mind, so I don't. Let it sit in the fridge for at least a few hours. My favorite way to eat it is with tortilla chips, or added to a salad instead of dressing! 


3 comments:

  1. Oooh I love guacamole! I'm definitely gonna try this!

    Charlotte x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures! Mmmmmmm, it looks delicious!!! (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh looks delicious! I love guacamole so I'm trying this out soon! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! :]
xo Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...