5.09.2012

Baking Bombshell: Half and Half Cupcakes


I got the idea for these cupcakes from a recipe someone printed out for me at work. I simplified it and made it a bit more complicated, all at once. 

Here's what you need: 
  • 1 vanilla or white cake mix (you can definitely make your own white or vanilla cake batter though) 
  • About 1/4 cup chocolate chips
  • about 1/4 cup of butterscotch chips OR toffee pieces would be delicious (heath bar pieces!?) 
  • Whatever you need to prepare the cake mix
  • 12 cupcake liners
  • Cupcake pan
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup of brown sugar
  • Vanilla
  • Salt
  • Milk or cream
  • 1 can of cream cheese or white frosting (or you can make your own, of course) 

To make your cupcakes, prepare your white cake batter. Put half of it in a separate bowl. In a small dish, microwave your chocolate chips; add to half of the cake batter. Then add your butterscotch chips to the chocolate batter. Using two large spoons, put one scoop of chocolate batter in the bottom of your lined cupcake tins. Put a scoop of white batter on top. I only made 12 cupcakes because I like to fill them very full -- I had a bit of batter left over, but not enough for me to put forth the effort to bake a second batch, especially because I only have one cupcake tin. You can totally fill the cups less and make up to 24 cupcakes, though. 

Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or according to the packages instructions. 


Frosting time! Making butterscotch isn't hard, but it does take time and dedication and not panicking. Which I did once and ended up taking two tries to make my butterscotch. So that happened. Make sure you have ALL your ingredients next to you on the stove.

In a frying pan, melt your butter over LOW HEAT (seriously). Add your brown sugar. Stir until it is uniformly wet. I added a bit of salt and vanilla at this point to make sure it was nicely flavored, but you can also add it at the end to taste. At this point, I got my milk ready -- you cook the sugar for about 5-6 minutes, or until it gets "liquid-y". Basically, it will feel more like liquid than wet sand. 

I used about 1/4 cup of milk, but you can use more if you want a thinner sauce. (Since we're adding it to frosting, it's not completely necessary.) However, you want the milk to be warm or else it's going to scald when you add it to the sugar. I put some milk in a coffee mug and microwaved it for about 30 seconds. 

Once your sugar begins to feel like liquid and not like sand, and is bubbling along, add a bit of milk and stir. You can get out a whisk at this point and use that, it's a bit easier. Add as much milk as you like, or until it looks, well, right. Then let boil for about 7-10 minutes. I added more vanilla and salt towards the end, and then tasted it. Please be careful tasting -- I burned myself way too many times. Sugar gets super hot, so before you stick your tongue onto the spoon or whisk, let it cool a bit. 

Once you've got your butterscotch, let it cool for a bit. I let mine cool for about 10 minutes, but I should have waited longer. That's a different story. 

Add a bit of your frosting to the butterscotch. This will temper it and keep everything from going crazy. Then, put the butterscotch-frosting in a bowl, and add the rest of the frosting. Mix until combined. 


I put my frosting in a large plastic bag to pipe it. From this point, I actually put it in the freezer for about 15 minutest to help it tighten up a bit, because my frosting got a bit melty. 

Just snip off the tip and use to frost cupcakes. Voila! 


Then, enjoy. Tasty, yes? 

Hope you all have a great Wednesday!  




3 comments:

  1. yum. I love any receipt where I can use a box of cake mix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. That looks absolutely delicious! I will definitely try this one day... when I have a functioning oven. D:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh look really delicious and fancy. :)

    ~Brit
    www.brittany-sims.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! :]
xo Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...