6.09.2012

Review: Lasting Finish by Kate, Rimmel


Last Saturday, I sent out a request on Twitter for red lipstick shades that didn't look, well, clownish. I've always been really hesitant about red lipstick, mainly because I think it can look kind of clownish. Plus, I've found myself really rejecting overly retro aesthetics lately -- I love vintage as much as the next girl, but it's not the 1950s and personally, I would never want it to be. 

I browsed Target extensively and finally came to the conclusion to get this lipstick. Confession: it's because it was the cheapest. At $5, it seemed like a bit of a bargain compared to other brands and so it went tumbling into my basket. I immediately applied it in the car and felt very unsure. 


I didn't know how to feel. Was this clownish? Too dark? Too red? Too something. Over the next few days, I would bravely apply it for work, wear it for ten minutes, and then promptly remove telling myself, "Next time! I'll be more confident next time!" 

This lipstick is some kind of stain-stick hybrid. If I get it on my skin -- fingers, face, whatever, I'm messy -- it stains... unless I scrub my skin with rubbing alcohol, which I'm sure is great for it. I guess that means it sticks around. It doesn't seem terribly moisturizing and tends to go on rather "dry."


I think my issue lies in the fact that I refuse to line my lips... ever. I mean, I just can't. I won't. not if I don't have to. No one can make me. The staining potential of this lipstick is what makes me hesitant -- if I get it on my face at work, that's it. I'm done. But because I refuse to line, I really don't give myself any guidelines at all. So really, it's my own personal problem.

However, I think, through the course of writing this and looking at my own face for several minutes, I like this color; I like it on me; I don't look like Bozo the Clown. I just need to get brave enough to wear it outside the house. And maybe I need to be a grown up or something and start using lipliner. 

Lasting Finish by Kate in 01 by Rimmel, $5 at Target



2 comments:

  1. You really look gorgeous with red lipstick Michelle! I have this lipstick too, and I also find it a little bit dry and a little dark (which makes me look like a vampire) :/ But maybe I'll get it out again for the summer because sunlight makes it look less dark! Oh and I never wear lip liner, apply foundation/powder and all that stuff, I'm just too lazy! Just apply and re-do when necessary :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the red lipstick with your pale skin and hazel eyes! you're gorgeous! I rarely wear red lipstick- funnily enough the only one I found to work for me was 99 cents and from N.Y.C (the brand, not the place). I found it better when I put balm first, then covered it with red lipgloss (also super cheap from Wet N Wild).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! :]
xo Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...