9.21.2012

Classic Yellow Cupcakes


Growing up, I never really liked yellow cake -- probably because I only ever had it made from a mix, in school. And let's be honest, school cafeteria food is never good -- mystery jello ranks up there as still one of my biggest fears -- and box cake doesn't exactly have a great reputation (although it's good in a pinch). Nothing is quite as good as homemade. And these little yellow cupcakes are proof of that, because I officially love plain yellow cake.


I made some regular size cupcakes and then, some mini cupcakes to have for little treats. The mini cupcakes didn't last long though, because they were so easy to just peel and eat without thinking about it. I ended up sharing the last of the cupcakes with my family on Sunday after dinner, which was a good choice. The cake was not overly sweet -- the perfect base for sweet, tangy cream cheese frosting -- and moist without being too crumbly. I did have a problem overfilling some of the liners because the batter was so thick. But since I'm so pleased with how the cupcakes came out, I can't really fault the recipe at all. 


Speaking of recipes, here it is. It's from the cookbook Better Homes & Gardens: Baking Edition, one of my absolute favorite cookbooks.

Classic Yellow Cupcakes
You will need...
  • 2/3 cup butter, softened
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/4 cups milk
  • 2 1/2 cups frosting of your choice
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. 

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add in vanilla. Add baking powder and salt. Add about half of your flour, followed by about half of the milk. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the rest of the flour, then the rest of the milk. 

Line cupcake tins with liners (I made 12 mini cupcakes and about 14 large cupcakes). Fill about 3/4 of the way full. Bake mini cupcakes for about 10-12 minutes and large cupcakes about 15-18 minutes. Allow to cool before removing from pans. Chill in the fridge and then frost. (I used a can of store bought frosting -- I'm out of powdered sugar! -- and I did not have enough frosting, which was tragic, so be prepared... you need a lot of frosting.) 


Happy baking!


1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious! thank you for sharing. Great blog :)

    Nafisah xoxo

    www.bamblingsofnaffy.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! :]
xo Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...