9.11.2012

Fresh Apple Crisp


Fall is here and that means... apples. Danny and I had a collection of apples we needed to use up, fast, or they were going to go bad. I hate wasting food, so I tried to figure out how to use them. My first thought was a pie, but I hate making pie crust! My second thought was apple crisp, which is probably one of my favorite ways to use fruit. 

I made up the recipe as I went and it turned out surprisingly well. 
  • 3-4 apples, peeled
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon cloves
  • 1 tablespoon flour
For the topping, I used about 1/2 cup of oats, 2 tablespoons of softened butter, 1 tablespoon of flour, two tablespoons of brown sugar, and a sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg and mashed it all up with a fork. 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 

In a bowl, combine the apples, sugar, spices, and flour and mix. Allow to sit while you prepare a small baking pan by spraying it with nonstick cooking spray. You can use this time to make your topping too. Just put your apple mixture in the bottom of the pan and top with the oat mixture. Then bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, or under the apples are soft and the topping is crunchy! 


I forgot to take a picture of it after I took it out of the oven... I'll be honest, the minute it was out, I was scooping a bit into a bowl! I wish I had some salted caramel butter pecan ice cream (which is my favorite... ever) to eat with this -- a bit of ice cream and some apple crisp is the perfect dessert! 


3 comments:

  1. This is really yummy, I have to try it, I love apples so much, with sugar and cinnamon.

    You have a really cool blog here. Do you want to follow each other, I would love that.
    Tereza
    http://drastic-plastic-fantastic-plastic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh crapola this sounds dangerously delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! :]
xo Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...