9.01.2012

the Perfect Chocolate Cupcake


Growing up, every birthday meant that I would get a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. There was very little change from year to year -- mostly decorations and the number of candles. I used to be convinced that box cake mixes were as good as homemade cake. That the chocolate cake I had every year for my birthday, made from a mix, was the height of chocolate cake. 

I was sadly mistaken. These cupcakes have proved me wrong. Why? Because they are perfect. The best chocolate cake I have ever had. I can never go back to box mixes. 


the Perfect Chocolate Cupcake

  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 2/3 cup cocoa
  • 1 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup oil 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 2/3 cup hot water
Preheat your oven to 350. Fill your cupcake trays with liners. In the bowl of your mixer (or a large bowl if you lack a mixer), combine all the dry ingredients and whisk together. In a smaller bowl, combine all of the wet ingredients (minus the water!) and whisk. Add to the dry ingredients and combine. Add in the hot water and beat until just combined. Do not overmix, as the gluten will overdevelop and you'll end up with rubbery cupcakes. (I learned this from research following my oddly-textured red velvet cupcakes.) 

Fill cupcake liners about 3/4 full. Bake for 15 minutes. Allow to cool and frost with the frosting of your choice. (I used cream cheese frosting, but a rich dark chocolate frosting would be delicious too -- topped with slivered almonds, yum!) 


I'm hoping someone will make these for my birthday in October. Hint hint. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog! :]
xo Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...