10.22.2012

Birthday Weekend

I'm not the kind of person who is really into my birthday -- I enjoy it for the cupcakes and getting a few gifts I've been wanting, but mostly I just like it to be a normal day where I do at least one or two fun things. Well, this year I had a bit of a "birthday weekend" -- I always was a bit annoyed by people who spread out their birthdays, but now I've become one of those people! I got most of my birthday presents on Wednesday and Friday, and my real birthday was on Saturday, and then I went on my birthday trip on Sunday. I thought I'd share some pictures though!




I love birthday presents! I know you're not supposed to say it, but whatever, I love getting gifts. I also love giving gifts, so that makes it sound less greedy, right? These are my presents from my grandma -- she delivered them early on Wednesday, which caused a chain reaction of birthday presents. I'd been having a horrible week, so it definitely helped. She got me this sweet little swan vase with a yellow rose -- my absolute favorite -- as well as some face cream, a new nail polish, a travel brush, a CD with hits from 1988 (the year I was born!), and a gift card to Forever 21, which I'm already fantasizing about spending! 

 

These are two of my presents from Danny. He also got me Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling, which I'll be reviewing soon. He gave me these on Wednesday as well, because he wanted to make me feel better about the lousy week! I had pointed all these polishes out to him when his parents visited -- what a good listener! I'm especially in love with the little Spice Market minis -- they're such cute, tiny bottles! (I love wee things.) He also got me a silver crackle polish, which I'm very excited about, and then a new eggplant purple shade I've been drooling over! I already have my nails painted with one of these polishes -- I'll be posting about them all soon enough. 

My mom got me a giftcard to Target and a set of candles shaped like owls, which are so, so cute! I love owls and she does too; she gave me her favorite owl necklaces from when she was in high school in the 70s!



On Saturday, I made us waffles for breakfast, because who doesn't love waffles. Danny and I then headed to Eugene (after I went to work out at the gym) for some shopping. We went to Forever 21 to spend my gift card -- I got a mustard peter pan collared top with pearl buttons, some high-waisted navy blue pants, and a new gray cardigan. Then we went to Target, where I got a TON of Christmas stuff with the giftcard my mom got me -- I could some new appetizer plates, some Christmas cookie cutters, a baking apron, a cake stand I've been wanting, and some new spatulas for baking. We had lunch at one of my favorite Mexican restaurants, where we ate way too much chips and salsa. It's one of my favorite places though because you can order a small combo, with only one enchilada, which is all I ever eat anyway!

Afterwards, we went to a farm in Eugene to pick out pumpkins. We met my friends there and had an adventure searching for the pumpkin patch (it included a massive hike through mud). Danny and I were going to go hang out with them, but it was getting late and we had dinner planned. At home, we had dinner and carved our pumpkins.


That's my pumpkin. You should know that I carve this same exact face in a pumpkin every year without fail. It's just my method!


On Sunday, we headed up to Hood River with my parents. Hood River is a little down in the Columbia Gorge -- it's gorgeous on it's own, but outside the town limits are a series of farms that set up little stands every weekend in the Fall. It's called the Fruit Loop! It's so fun to visit, because all the apples and pears are ripe, and there are TONS of different varieties.




Random new fact I learned: this is how brussel sprouts grow! I thought they grew like cabbages -- just teeny tiny -- but it turns out they grow on big stalks. They're really pretty. It was only $2 for one of these stalks, but I'm not sure I could eat that many brussel sprouts! I almost bought an ornamental kale plant, but then I wasn't sure what I would do with it -- you can't eat it and I'm notoriously bad at keeping plants alive. They're so pretty though. I would love a little row of them outside!




Danny and I both really love the miniature pumpkins -- especially what are called "cute pumpkins" (they're the smallest) and alien gourds, which are very funny shaped. I'm inspecting an alien gourd in my photo. I love going on the Fruit Loop because I get the chance to sort through so many different kinds of miniature pumpkins and gourds. Danny and I had already bought some miniature white-and-orange pumpkins on Saturday, so we didn't really need anymore. I'm always really fascinated by the different types of pumpkins. Growing up, I was really obsessed with them, partly because my birthday is so close to Halloween, but also because it's one of the first things I learned to draw really well. I would fill pages and pages with pumpkins and jack-o-lanterns. My grandpa even called me Pumpkin!





Did I mention that Hood River is, hands down, one of the most gorgeous places I've ever been? With some of the most adorable little farm houses ever? Seriously, if I could buy a big (somehow profitable) farm with an attached adorable farmhouse, I would live my life happily. I could grow apples and cabbages and write all day and be ridiculously happy. But, I know next to nothing about farming. Except that apples grow on trees.

It was a really fun weekend. That being said, I'm already looking forward to next weekend -- when I can just lie in bed and watch movies all day! Thank you all so much for the birthday wishes!


2 comments:

  1. well happy belated birthday! Sounds like you scored some awesome gifts. I love getting presents as well. Its nice to be showered with gifts every now and then :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos , I can't wait to do my pumkin :) lovely photos xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! :]
xo Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...