10.28.2012

Inspiration Sunday: My Style Evolution


This post has been months in the making. I first started writing it about three months ago. I let it sit in my draft folder for a while. I restarted it a few weeks ago and then let it sit again. This week, I decided to sort it out, add more pictures, and do something crazy: label it my Inspiration Sunday post!

The thing is, looking at these pictures reminds me why I love fashion. I've worn so many outfits on this blog. Some of them ridiculous. Some of them great. I've taken thousands of pictures. Stood on a lot of lots, a lot of remarked spots. I've gotten better at my photography. More than anything, these pictures make me miss my short hair a lot. In fact, looking through them, I send my mom a message asking her if she thought I should have long or short hair for the wedding. (Oi vei!) 


 


Another thing I realized looking at these pictures... you can't tell I've gained weight. The pictures above are from when I was at my skinniest and I realize I look only fractionally different now. My clothes still feel different, but it makes me feel better to know that the change isn't horribly obvious. The above outfit actually makes me want to dig out that dress and wear it some weekend -- perhaps with some raspberry tights and boots! 




We all change as we get older. We favor some things over others that we used to love. Our bodies change. When I look back at some of my old outfits, I tend to move between surprise and confusion. I can't necessarily ever remember why I chose to pair some things together, but looking back, I either really like it or absolutely hate it. I am most often surprised by myself, mostly because of ingenuity or bravery. It makes me want to return to the very early days of my blog, when I was mostly focused on getting dressed everyday and making what I already had work with my newfound interest in style. It was so much fun back then. Sometimes, it feels like fashion blogging has turned into a rat race; it seems like it's always about what you have that's new and chasing trends. I love fashion blogging -- then and now -- and I really wouldn't change anything for the world, but I remember how I felt when I first started Locked Out and I would love to recapture that. 




Throughout this blog, I've changed, both in my style and as a person. I've graduated college. I've cut and grown, cut and regrown my hair more times than I can count. I've gotten engaged. I've gotten jobs. I've written articles and taken internships and had more than my fair share of cries over anonymous comments, stalkers, and failed outfit photos. More than anything though, I've continued to stay inspired. And that's really cool.




2 comments:

  1. I really like this post Michelle. And I can totally relate to the keeping up with the joneses aspect of blogging, but I think we should all make more of an effort to just be us, just dress how we want to dress and try to recapture that feeling of freedom and fun again. I hope we can do it!
    I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and I might actually address it on my blog and mention this post!

    Charlotte x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun post! I've been wanting to do a post like this for a while, but I think I might save it for the end of the year. ;D

    I just love how personal style changes over time. It's so fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! :]
xo Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...