11.23.2012

Fitness Friday: Post-Thanksgiving Plan


First things first, you made it through Thanksgiving. Secondly, don't feel guilty about anything that happened yesterday. Even if it did include an extra piece of pumpkin pie or about a pound of mashed potatoes and gravy. Overeating one day does not make you gain five pounds overnight. I promise. 

Now, let's talk about what we're going to do today. If you're like me, Thanksgiving is all about indulging. If my family takes the time to make something delicious, then I will eat it. I love being healthy, but on holidays, it almost seems rude to pass over your mom's pumpkin pie or those buttery mashed potatoes your grandma spent hours preparing. I mean, seriously, I hope everyone enjoyed themselves!

But if you, also like me, feel like a big, bloated mess the next day, we've got to get our plan together. This is my plan for today. 


The most important thing, really, is water. If I do nothing else today, I need to drink water. The problem with Thanksgiving is the huge amounts of salt/sodium and sugar I end up consuming while I enjoy the holiday, which can make me feel bloated and low energy the next day. Tons of water, tea (with as little sugar as possible!), and fruit the next day will fight that feeling, while avoiding salt the next day and limiting how many carbs I eat.

As far as working out is concerned, I think it's important to not try to undo yesterday. It's bad for you and it's impossible, so let's just stick with having fun, shall we? A nice, easy 30 minute work out -- like a 30 minute walk with your family -- is a great way to burn some calories and not stress yourself out. Especially on vacation, you don't want to feel like you're pushing yourself too hard! Before bed, I'm going to try to do a Pop Pilates video (if you have never seen them, search for Pop Pilates on YouTube -- the creator is amazing and they're free!) as well as some sit ups, squats, and lunges. I've been working on my planking lately and I don't want to let all my hard work go! A quite 15-20 second plank will help keep my abs strong. If nothing else, doing a little work out will make you drink more water, which will help flush your system.

More than anything, it's important today to still act like I'm on vacation! It's not about undoing anything from yesterday, but about keeping myself motivated to be healthy and happy. When I get back to work Monday, I don't want it to be a shock to go to the gym after work!

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving! To all my non-US readers, I hope your Friday is amazing and you aren't exhausted by all this Thanksgiving talk yet!


1 comment:

  1. Good point about the water, I really need to keep that in mind..

    I've never seen the pop pilates, but I know what I'm going to do today- ZUMBA! :)

    Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! :]
xo Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...