11.21.2012

Thanksgiving Recipes: Chocolate Covered Oreos


When in doubt, I make chocolate covered Oreos. In the past, I've only done "real" chocolate covered ones. But Danny loves white chocolate and begged me to make some white chocolate covered Oreos too. I love giving chocolate covered Oreos as gifts -- they taste amazing (I mean, who doesn't love Oreos!?), they look impressive, and they are easy and cheap to make. Danny and I got two packs of Oreos on sales and I covered an entire package with chocolate. I love using seasonal Oreos for these -- this time, I used the Winter Oreos with red cream. It's just a little more fun!



You'll need two bags of chocolate of your choice (I used one bag of milk chocolate chips for the first half and then one bag of white chocolate chips for the second half), a box of Oreos, a sheet of wax paper, sprinkles of your choice, and a double boiler. As you can see, my double boiler is very sophisticated. 

You'll start by getting your water boiling. Once the water is boiling, dump the first bag of chocolate into the bowl on top. Wear oven mitts, because if you use a super sophisticated double boiler like mine, steam can sometimes shoot up the sides and can burn your hands really quickly. Stir the chocolate until it melts completely and then pull the bowl from the double boiler. Unless you want to fight steam the entire time you're dipping cookies. 


I'm going to give you a warning about white chocolate: when it melts, it's ... chalky, for lack of a better word. Milk chocolate, dark chocolate, and all shades of brown chocolate melt really nicely -- smooth and shiny and silky. It drizzles over the Oreos really well. White chocolate, not so much. 

I usually drop an Oreo into the chocolate and flip it over a few times with a fork. I then scoop it onto the fork and shake to remove excess chocolate and smooth out the top. Then I plunk it onto the wax paper and add sprinkles. For white chocolate, I used a spoon to scoop the chocolate on top, and then did my usual scoop with a fork and shake routine. It just takes a little more effort. White chocolate is, for lack of a better word, a bit gloopy. 





I'm so excited to share these on Thanksgiving. they are such a nice treat and they always turn out so pretty. If you're looking for a little extra flavor, you can add a bit of peppermint extract to the chocolate as it's melting or you can use flavored Oreos. When Christmas rolls around, I love using Candy Cane Oreos and you can top them with crushed candy canes! The possibilities are endless and they're super easy, making them the perfect edible gift. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog! :]
xo Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...