11.19.2012

Thanksgiving Recipes: Parmesan Dinner Rolls


Whenever holidays roll around, I get really overwhelmed about baking, cooking, and general merriment. I print out tons of recipes everyday (my desk is a mess), but I can only bake so much! This year, I decided to pick a select few recipes to make for Thanksgiving and I'll be posting them this week. I mean, when's a better time to post a bunch of recipes? The holiday dedicated to food, of course!*

*I'm sorry to all my UK readers out there. I assure you that Thanksgiving is a very American, very great holiday! 

This is the first recipe I'll be posting: parmesan dinner rolls. Baking bread can be terrifying to some people -- yeast is really finicky and kind of a pain sometimes. I've had my share of bread recipes that have not risen, fallen flat, or just turned out, well, weird. This is not one of those recipes. I assure you that even the most elementary of bakers can make these dinner rolls!



The recipe I originally followed called these "slider buns" -- which, I think they would make pretty tasty rolls for burgers or sandwiches, but that's not what I made them for. I also changed the ingredients a bit, altered how I shaped the rolls, and changed how I baked them. The original recipe can be found here and you can read my version below!

Parmesan Dinner Rolls
Makes about 15-16 

Ingredients
  •  3 3/4 cups all-purpose
  • 1 pkg of active dry yeast OR 2 1/4 teaspoon
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/3 cups warm water (warm, not hot) 
  • 1/4 cup cheddar cheese
  • about 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
  • Olive oil (about 1 tbsp) 
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 tbsp water
In a bowl, combine the water and yeast and allow to set for 10 minutes or so. Then, add the flour and salt and stir to combine. (You can also use a stand mixer with a bread hook.) At any point, add your cheddar cheese and combine into the dough as you stir. Stir until everything combines and the mixture pills from the sides of the bowl. Dump onto the counter and knead for about 10 minutes. (This is an excellent arm workout.) Knead until the dough is relatively smooth. I could never get mine perfect smooth, so don't panic if yours still looks a bit lumpy. 

Place the dough into a large bowl and pour a big of olive oil on top. Rub the dough to cover and then turn over, being sure to coat the ball entirely. Cover with a clean towel and allow to rise for about an hour and 15 minutes, or until doubled in size. 

Once it's risen, line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with a bit of nonstick. Dump your parmesan cheese onto a plate. Now, you get to punch down the dough. How do you punch down dough? Make a fist. Punch it. Congratulations, you've punched down dough!

Dump onto your work surface and knead a few times. Then start to roll the dough into a log about 12 inches long. (I measured using my forearm.) Once you've got a reasonably sized log of dough, cut the log in half using a sharp knife. Then cut each half into about 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and dip the top into your parmesan cheese. Place onto your cookie sheet and pat down a bit. 

Cover them with a towel or plastic wrap and allow to rise another 30 or 40 minutes. Preheat your oven to 425 and beat up an egg yolk with a bit of water. When the rolls have risen, brush a bit of egg polk on top and sprinkle on a bit more cheese if you like! Using a sharp knife, cut a slit or an X in the top of each roll. Bake for 5 minutes at 425, then reduce the oven to 375 and continue baking for about 10-15 minutes. 



These rolls are so soft, fluffy, and yummy, but with a nice chewy, crunchy exterior. They're pretty much perfect! Danny and I both ate one when I finished baking them and then I immediately packed them up to save for Thanksgiving. We have to save ourselves from ourselves, really, especially when bread is concerned. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog! :]
xo Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...