12.17.2012

All That Glitters


Top, American Eagle 
Tights, Target
Boots, Softe

I received this skirt on Friday from SwayChic, a small chain of boutiques in California. I was so excited for it to come in the mail, I've been making Danny check almost everyday! Part of me was hugely worried that it wouldn't fit -- I asked for a medium, but started wondering if I should have sized up. I was pleasantly surprised to find the skirt not only fit, but was pretty roomy in the hips as well as the waist. Isn't that always a nice surprise? 

One of the reasons I picked this skirt was that it seems to be perfect for casual Christmas parties -- I knew immediately I wanted to pair it with this top from American Eagle (which I've owned for almost 3 months, but haven't posted on here yet because I'm a slacker!) It's gold, but it's not too gold -- it's not sparkly, or glittery, or covered in rhinestones. It's just... pretty. The fabric is a linen-blend -- no cheap polyester or anything stretchy! -- and it is a zip up, not just a "slide into" type. Plus... it has pockets. Need I say more? 



One thing about this skirt that surprised me was the quality! I really wasn't expecting much -- the price was pretty reasonable and it's a trendy item -- but it's really, really well made. It fits well. The seams are even. The hem is even. I love Forever 21 as much as the next girl, but with Forever 21 items, you really pay for what you get -- a $20 dress is going to feel like a $20 dress and won't be very high quality. It might have mismatched seams or a funky zipper. This skirt is only $19.50, but feels like it should cost a lot more. I love being pleasantly surprised like that.

I fully plan on wearing this skirt in a variety of situations -- it's obviously a great party piece. Paired with this top, or something a little slinkier, and it'd make a great going out outfit. But I feel like I could also pair it with a fair isle sweater or a nice blouse and cardigan and wear it to work for a little extra oomph during the day. If you'd like to check out the skirt for yourself, you can click here



I've spent way too long trying to form a coherent few paragraphs about the last week. I think, like many Americans, I am still in shock. There is another part of me, as well, that is deeply ashamed. I can't believe something like this happened in my country, in my home state. I can't believe we've allowed this to happen. I can't believe it did. 

One of the hardest parts was reading the list of names of the children who died at Sandy Hook Elementary and realizing that one of the little boys was named Chase. My nephew is named Chase and I just lost it at that. Just the idea of losing him or my other nephew is so hard that it makes me hurt inside. I cannot imagine what those families are going through, how sad, angry, and disappointed they must feel, how deeply they miss their little ones, their sisters and brothers, their nephews and nieces. 

If you are looking for a cathartic cry, I highly recommend watching SNL's cold opening from yesterday's show. I know some people hated this, but I thought it was so apt, and so beautiful, and so heart-wrenching. It is the first time I can remember SNL doing a non-comedic opening. 




In the wake of something so horrible, it makes everything I have seem that much better. I hope that doesn't sound heartless. Friday, I came home to Danny and Remus. Danny had bought me a Diet Pepsi as a treat. We had spaghetti and meatballs for dinner. He had bought me salt and vinegar chips at the store. Remus and I took a nap together Saturday. Danny and I went shopping. Danny and I let each other open one Christmas present early. It makes me realize how much I have. At the same time, it makes me realize how much others have lost in the last week. I can't imagine not having Danny, Remus, or my family in my life. I can't imagine losing any of them. It's easy to get overwhelmed in our lives and get to the point where we can only see the bad. It's important to pull ourselves up and see the good sometimes. It shouldn't take something so tragic to make us appreciate our friends and family, our blessings, our warm homes. 


I hope you all have a brilliant Monday. Stay safe out there!


2 comments:

  1. Shut up, you look STUNNING in these photos and your hair is getting so long! The skirt is so flattering on you.

    You hit the nail on your head regarding regarding what happened last week. It's all so crazy.

    -Sara, Road to the Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes to everything you said about Sandy Hook and the shootings last week.

    On a more shallow note, I love your new skirt and can't wait to see it paired with a chambray button down.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! :]
xo Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...