1.27.2013

On Being a Bookworm


I started blogging because of books.

I was in high school when I started my first blog -- a Lifejournal about nothing, but mostly Harry Potter. When I read the first Harry Potter book, I wasn't too excited about it. By the time I was 15, though, I understood the importance of escaping into books for me. And let's be honest: the world of Harry Potter is one of the most fun and easiest to slip into. How many people wish they could talk to portraits of old teachers, family members, and heroes? How many people wish they could use Accio to find something they've lost? How many people wish they had best friends like Ron Weasley -- loyal, funny, and honest -- and Hermione Granger -- smart, determined, and feisty? A teacher like Remus Lupin who was kind, supportive, and sensitive without being obnoxious or pandering? A hero like Dumbledore? It's a world so full of characters and ideas that are appealing to sad teenagers that it's no surprise, really, that it's still an incredibly popular fandom... over four years after the last book came out!


I've been what's sometimes called "a reader" for as long as I can remember. In the evenings, my dad still sits down in his comfy chair in the living room with a drink and a book -- okay, these days he has his iPad on which he buys books. I grew up with parents that loved to read and who loved to buy me books. When I was little, my dad would always read me a story before bed and I have great memories of my mom reading A Wrinkle in Time bMadeleine L'Engle to my siblings and I.

When I didn't have anything to do as a kid, I would draw or read a book. By the time I was in middle school, books were the way I relaxed and enjoyed myself. I knew I wanted to be a writer by the time I was 12 -- the idea of it being humanly possible to construct stories like the ones I read seemed impossible, but I wanted to try. I loved all kinds of books -- Goosebumps and ghost stories, Madeleine L'Engle books, the Secret Garden, and the Amelia Notebook series -- and I knew I wanted to write all kinds of books too.


Reading taught me a lot of things: I learned to be inquisitive and questioning of lots of things. I learned to think critically. I wrote better than my peers who hated reading, and I got better grades because I was able to discern the important information from the filler. I learned to listen all the time, rather than talk, and I got very good at reading between the lines and being observants. Reading taught me how to not only be a good student, but to be the best student I could be. More than anything, reading made me want to always be learning, to want to be a good student. Reading never made me exceptionally popular, but when I struggled on a physics test, I got extra credit for knowing the second half of a verse to a Robert Frost poem. On a lazy day in my Religion class, I won my team a game of trivia by knowing the lines to a William Shakespeare sonnet. My knowledge of books was limited, but the knowledge I did have gave me the distinct feeling that in books there was unlimited power just waiting for me.


If it were not for books, I would not be a blogger. I probably wouldn't even be a writer. If I didn't love reading, I don't know what I would do or what I would love: my love of words makes me want to write, to read, to scrapbook, to share. I own probably over 1,000 books (more now that Danny lives with me!) and even though they are a pain to pack and move (and rearrange and decorate and...) I love them. I don't think I would trade my love of books for anything in the world. 


1 comment:

  1. I just love this post, and not only because I am a fellow bookworm, but because it is beautifully written. Happy reading, and happy writing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! :]
xo Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...