1.08.2013

Picking a Wedding Venue

Image Source
I wrote last week about planning my wedding, specifically about all the little details. I thought this week I'd write about picking a venue. For me, it was a really nerve-wracking decision and I went through a kind of weird thought process about it. It can be a really hard decision because, well, it's where you're getting married! It's a huge thing to consider and it can end up being a huge amount of your budget.

Originally, I didn't want to have a traditional wedding; it seemed like a lot of work and planning. My original plan was to go to Las Vegas to get married -- it could be like a vacation, then Danny and I could take off for our Honeymoon in Disneyland! Then, I went to Las Vegas and didn't exactly love it. 

I then thought I should have a courthouse wedding and a reception at my parents' house. The more I thought about that, however, the more I realized it was kind of impossible. My parents house is set up a long driveway, with almost no parking. And if it rained, would everyone be able to fit in the house? Could we rent a tent? The tents we found were too big for the space we had! And parking? Where would 100 people park

I realized then that I would have a rent a place for the reception. I really liked the idea of having it at one of the wineries near where I grew up. I've lived near King Estates Winery my entire life, but when I researched their prices (and many stipulations), I realized that while it was certainly a possibility, it was way too much money for me! My mom and I had visited Sweet Cheeks when I first got engaged and I really liked it. It's a very pretty winery closer to Eugene, set up on a hill with the vines running down the hillside. 

Image Source
A few months later, we visited Sweet Cheeks again during the summer. I fell in love with it and realized it was where I wanted to get married. The problem was... they didn't do weddings or receptions on Fridays. I was planning to get married at the courthouse (which would obviously have to be on a weekday), then have the reception. Even worse, the Saturday after I planned to get married, they had book for another event. Could I get married on a Friday, rest Saturday, then have a reception Sunday? It seemed really... drawn out. Danny's family would have to rent places for a lot more days than they really needed to and it was just a lot of time. Sweet Cheeks had become the place I wanted to have my reception -- I couldn't see it happening anywhere else. 

Then, I realized: having the "traditional wedding" made so much more sense in this situation. A service, a dinner, a reception. It wasn't necessarily "settling" -- as I've said, my main goal for my wedding was keeping things simple. I just wanted something that was simple for everybody and while a courthouse wedding would certainly be simple, the logistics just were not working. It was making everything a lot more complicated for everyone, from friends and family to my photographer! Of course, switching to a full wedding meant a lot more things to plan, but I was fine with that. I actually found myself getting very excited about it, too! More and more, I realized how much I saw myself getting married to Danny at Sweet Cheeks... I couldn't imagine getting married anywhere else. 

Image Source
When it came to picking a venue, here were the main things I looked for: 
  • Reasonably priced. As an example, King's Estate charged over $6,000 for their most simple wedding venue area (they have two or three, if I remember right). Sweet Cheeks charges about half that! 
  • The option to have outside catering. This is really a personal preference because I'm such a picky eater and I'm kind of cheap! Many venues now only allow you to use their on-site catering or restaurant, which means they can charge whatever they want. Sweet Cheeks was high on my list because they allow any licensed caterer. 
  • Aesthetics. Obviously, you want to get married somewhere that you think is pretty! 
  • Proximity to home. For whatever reason, I got very attached to getting married and/or having the reception close to where I grew up. I love where I live and I am very sentimental about it. Sweet Cheeks is down the road from the house where my great-grandmother grew up! 
Image Source
It feels so weird to have done such a 180 from what I originally wanted for my wedding! My parents didn't have a traditional wedding (they got married in Reno) and so I never really grew up thinking weddings were that big of a deal. However, the more I plan my wedding, the more I realize how much fun it's going to be to have just a few hours to marry Danny and celebrate that fact with all the people we love! 

More than anything, it was important for me to find a place that felt "right." As much as I loved some venues, they just didn't feel right, or they had too many rules (such as using their catering), or they were too expensive (or a combination of all three)! Sweet Cheeks just felt like the right place and altering my wedding plans were worth it to get married in that space. 

Have a wonderful Tuesday! If you have anything you want me to write about in regards to wedding planning, let me know! 


3 comments:

  1. Looking for a Vermont Wedding location isn't easy.. You have to consider everything. Well, thank you for giving us an additional idea on how to look for a venue that suits our taste at a reasonable price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Thanks for the post! Would you mind recommending a few Wedding Venue in Toronto?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Los angeles venue has Loft seven penthouse which is good for special parties and filming. It provides the combination of infinite LED lighting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! :]
xo Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...