2.05.2013

Books I'm Reading in February


As you guys know, I love to read. Since Danny and I moved in together, my book collection doubled, and I now have a lot of books at my disposal to read. Plus lots to buy and read! 

In January, I read World War Z, Kafka By the Shore, Half of a Yellow Sun, A Prayer for Owen Meany, and Crime and Punishment. I have a few books leftover from January to read, plus a few more I've pulled from Danny's collection. Here they are!

  • All Quiet on the Western Front, Erich Maria Remarque
  • Billy Budd & Other Dales, Herman Melville
  • Slaughterhouse-Five, Kurt Vonnegut
  • In Dubious Battle, John Steinbeck 
  • Killing Custer, James Welch and Paul Stekler
  • Heavier than Heaven, Charles Cross
  • Armageddon in Retrospect, Kurt Vonnegut
  • The Phillip K Dick Reader
  • the Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck 
  • Pulp, Charles Bukowski 
As a disclaimer, I've started reading the Grapes of Wrath about six times: I get through the first two chapters and then quit, exhausted. It's like running several miles. The same goes for Slaughterhouse-Five... I've owned this copy since my freshman year of college and yet, still, I read the first chapter, get tired, and read something else. It's kind of silly. Now that I think about it, I think I bought the Grapes of Wrath and Slaughterhouse-Five at the same time. 

I'm really proud at the amount I've read in the last month. It makes me feel really inspired and helps me think more clearly. Plus, at work, it's a nice feeling to know that at lunch, I'll get one hour of just me and Haruki Murakami, or Charles Bukowski, or whoever I'm reading at that moment. It's good to have an escape, something to occupy my brain. And I love carrying books around! Instead of browsing my iPhone while waiting in line, I can pull out my book and get a little reading in! 

So far in February, I've already finished Devil in the White City, which I bought last year with every intention to read, but never did. It only took me two days and I loved it... although, I will admit to skimming the chapters about architecture. 

I hope you all are having a fabulous Tuesday!


3 comments:

  1. I love when you blog about books and writing! :) I've been meaning to read Crime and Punishment; how did you like it? I really want to read All Quiet on the Western Front too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crime and Punishment is a really hard book for me -- I tried to read it in January, but stopped. I read the whole thing in high school. The problem with most Russian literature is that it's very heavy, very esoteric. I always describe Crime and Punishment the way my high school teacher did: it's like a loaf of pumpernickel bread. It's delicious, but it's dense and you need a little butter and jam on top. It's one of those books that takes a loooong time to get through and you've got to break it up by reading other books or watching a movie or doing something else, or you'll get exhausted and stop. But it's worth it in the end because it is a good book. It's just... heavy.

      Delete
  2. I am so impressed by how much you read in a month! I have been reading 1Q84 for at least a month now. I am getting close to the end, and I am starting to get really sad about it. With a long novel, it's easy for it to kind of become a friend of yours. But I have a whole stack of library books waiting for me when I'm done. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! :]
xo Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...