4.04.2013

Apple Pie


Sometimes, there are recipes that don't seem worth posting. I mean, apple pie. Really. But then sometimes, I'll make something and people will ask, "what did you put in this!?" and I realize... maybe I need to share this with the world. Or maybe I don't. Maybe it's just fun to write about apple pie. 

Because the more I write about apple pie, the more I'm allowed to eat of it... right? 

Here's what you'll need: 
  • 1 refrigerated pie crust
  • 3 apples (I use two granny smith and one sweeter variety, like a Gala or a Pacific Rose) 
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
  • 1/4 cup of sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon cloves
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Peel and chop your apples. I like to cut them into slightly smaller pieces -- it helps them cook evenly and makes the pie a little easier to eat! Put in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, melt your butter. Pour your lemon juice over the apples and stir to coat. Then add flour, sugar, spices, and salt. Stir to combine. Pour the melted butter over the top and stir to combine. 

Prepare a pie pan by buttering or spraying with nonstick spray. At the same time, preheat over to 450 degrees. Press pie crust into pie pan, making sure there are no air pockets or bubbles. Pour in apple filling. I like to fold the crust over (like in my pictures) -- if you have a lot of filling, you can pull the edges out to give you some more. Otherwise, you can crimp like you would a normal pie. I like the tart look of doing the crust this way though. I had some leftover pie crust (from making mini pies that did not turn out!) that I used to make a design on the middle. 

Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until crust is light brown! 


The addition of the melted butter and lemon juice really sets this pie apart. The butter almost makes a caramel of the filling and the lemon juice adds a nice bit of tang to cut through the sweetness of the sugar and spices. I love apple pie -- it's one of my favorite quick-and-easy pies to make. Because, seriously, who doesn't have apples on hand!? 

I hope you have a fabulous Thursday! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog! :]
xo Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...