5.30.2013

Quinoa & Black Bean Burgers


Admittedly, these aren't the most attractive burgers in the world, but from a non-vegetarian standpoint, they are pretty dang tasty. I actually think they'd work better on top of a salad with some zesty dressing, but they're pretty good for burgers too. 


(Note: This recipe makes a ton of burgers, which I hadn't realized when I started making it; I have about 10 of these burgers in the freezer now, which is great, but wow.) 

You'll need:
  • 2 15-oz cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 cup of quinoa, cooked (I had some pre-cooked in the fridge, but you could also use rice) 
  • about 1/2 cup of corn kernels 
  • 1/4 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • about 2 tablespoons of ketchup
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • one good squirt of sriracha and a few dashes of chipotle Tabasco 
In a bowl, reserve about 1/2 cup of the black beans. In a large bowl, combine beans, ketchup, onion, and garlic and mash with a potato masher. (You can also blend them up in a food processor.) You don't want them to be perfectly smooth though. Add your 1/2 cup of reserved beans, quinoa, egg, corn, spices, and other sauces. (Feel free to add whatever spices you want.) Stir until completely blended.

Using a 1/4 cup scoop, make patties and lay them flat on a baking sheet. Chill in the fridge for about an hour. 

When ready, heat up a pan with a bit of nonstick spray and cook on each side for about 5 minutes on each side, until set and the egg is cooked throughout. 

I added a bit of cheddar cheese at the end and put a lid on my frying pan to allow it to melt. I just love the extra bit of cheesiness! 


I served ours on a slice of toast with homemade potato salad and the leftover corn warmed up with salt and pepper. It was really tasty and super filling! I also have leftovers to have over salads this week. They're relatively low calorie, high protein, and so filling, it really does seem like you're eating meat. 

Have a wonderful Thursday!


1 comment:

  1. Oooh these look so yummy! Vegan friendly too I'm guessing if you don't add the cheese.

    Emma x
    http://beautyandrags.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! :]
xo Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...