6.14.2013

Am I Supposed to Relax Before My Wedding or...?


Everyone gets stressed before weddings. It's just natural. It's a huge life event -- because even though getting married is really just a piece of paper, it's a huge commitment to take on. And planning a wedding in itself can turn into a bit of a spectacle, even if you're trying to keep things simple.

I'll be honest: I've been a bit of a mess lately. I'm an anxious person to begin with, so throw in a wedding and a huge vacation -- plus working full time, working out five days a week, running a blog, and building a house! -- and I find myself crying because I'm unable to decide what to eat for lunch.

However, I've found a few ways to cope with my anxiety, so I thought I'd share them, in the hopes of giving current and future brides a bit of help!

1. Bubble baths. Step 1 - go to your favorite fragrance shop. Step 2 - pick up a few bottles of bubble bath, a few bath bombs, and/or a collection of relaxing candle scents. (I really like Bath & Body Works Eucalyptus Spearmint from their aromatherapy collection!) Step 3 - run a hot bath after a hard day, light a candle, pour some bubble bath in, and grab a good book.

2. Take a day off from the wedding. In the weeks before a wedding, it seems like everyday there's something you have to do. But you know what's really nice? Spending a day without talking about the wedding, thinking about the wedding, making calls about the wedding, or organizing some part of the wedding. Don't write about it. Don't text about it. Don't even think about it. It's so.... relaxing.

3. Master your yoga poses. The other day at work I had a horrific stomach ache brought on by stress (and maybe drinking a huge coffee way too fast). I did a few yoga side twists in my desk chair ... and bam, stomach ache gone. Tension headache? A few relaxing child poses and slow toe touches later and it's (mostly) gone. In general, clearing your mind is a huge help. Obviously, don't try to become a yogi in the two weeks leading up to your wedding... but using a few poses now and then to cope with stress will make a difference in your mood!

4. Eat. I did this thing in the last few weeks where I stopped eating carbs and yeah, I lost a few pounds and yeah, my stomach shrank and YEAH, I was a huuuuuuuuuge brat. So my advice to you is: eat. Obviously not everything. That dress has to fit and everything. But Wednesday night, after a really rough day, Danny and I ate half a pint of Ben & Jerry's together... it was great and I didn't feel bad at all.

5. Spend time outside. Danny and I finally got Remus a stake so he can run around in our (unfenced) yard. He loves it... and I love it. The other evening, we all just sat outside in the evening sun and it was so peaceful. Get a book or write in your journal or take pictures! Just do something. Even if it's raining.

There ya go! Now, I'm going to go take a piece of my own advice and eat a tub of ice cream in the bathtub. That's right!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog! :]
xo Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...