7.22.2013

Blueberry Orange Baked Donuts

In our CSA box that we got Wednesday, Danny and I got a pint of blueberries. (Actually, the box contained two pint boxes of blueberries - my mom got the other one!) I've not a big plain blueberry eater, but I love them in things -- muffins, oatmeal, smoothies. I wanted to try something new though, so I used a basic cake donut recipe to make blueberry donuts. And you know what goes really well with blueberries? Citrus flavors. Meet blueberry orange baked donuts! 


You'll need:

  • 1 cup of flour
  • about 1/4 and two tablespoons of sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • cinnamon and nutmeg (I usually just sprinkle from my jars of spice until it "looks right") 
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • about 1/4 and two tablespoons of milk 
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • about 2 tablespoons of orange juice (you can use fresh or bottled!) 
  • 1 cup of blueberries (fresh) 
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, spices, and salt and whisk to combine. In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, milk, and egg. Add to the batter and stir. Thin out with orange juice until the bowl is combined. Add blueberries. Spoon mixture into a well-greased donut pan. (If you don't have a donut pan -- don't despair! You can grease a mini muffin tin or even a regular muffin tin and make the exact same thing -- just don't fill a regular muffin tin too full!) Bake for about 10 minutes. (If you're using a mini muffin tin, you'll bake for about 6 minutes. For a regular muffin, I'd try about 14 minutes.) 

While the donuts are baking, mix up about 1 cup of powdered sugar, 1 tsp of cinnamon, and 1 tablespoon of orange juice. Add a bit more orange juice until you get a good glaze consistency (thick, but it drips off a spoon when you scoop it up). 

When the donuts are done, pull them out of the oven and let cool for about 5 minutes. Use a cutting board to flip over the donut pan and release them. Allow to cool a few more minutes and then spoon the glaze on top. It's fine for it to melt and run down the edges -- in fact, that's the point! Let the glaze harden and then -- yum! Enjoy with a cup of tea and a good book. 


And oh my gosh, are they tasty! They make a perfect treat after dinner -- since they're full of blueberries, I feel like they're not too awful for me. They would also make a great gift to someone to who needs a bit of a pick-me-up -- they aren't overly sweet or overwhelming in terms of taste. 

Hope you all have a wonderful Monday! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog! :]
xo Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...