9.03.2013

My September Challenge: 30 Poems in 30 Days


When I was in college, my journalism professor told me about a time where he tried to write a poem everyday for a month. Not every poem was good, but he made it through and it was a great exercise. I have always thought that sounded like a great challenge: trying to write a poem, long or short, it doesn't matter, everyday can be kind of daunting, especially if you, like me, love poetry and agonize over it. 

I read poetry almost everyday, but rarely ever write anything I consider technically good. The last few weeks thought I've written more than I have since I graduated and I've been quite proud of it. I want to keep the momentum going by challenging myself to write 30 Poems in 30 Days!

At the start of this year, I tried to do a Write a Page a Day challenge and I muddled it up for myself by trying to give myself "topics" and "questions to write about." It got rather boring after a while!! I did fill up a journal but I filled it up with, erm, not that great of material, honestly! The last few days I've been writing poems about my day, which has been rather fun and takes the pressure of the poem being "great" off! Again, however, I don't want to nail myself down to writing poems about my day everyday -- I think that would end up backfiring for me!

My goal is to simply write a poem everyday about anything whatsoever. Whatever I want to write about. I've been researching famous and/or legendary women lately in the hopes to write a series of poems about them -- related to the poems I wrote about Opal Whiteley in college. I've also been researching women and treatment of women's bodies (for lack of a better way to phrase that...) to write poems about the treatment of women medically & socially, inspired by one of my favorite books of poetry, the Resurrection Trade by Leslie Adrienne Miller. The main focus of this last bit of research has been on the Jack the Ripper victims (canonical and potential others) and Bible John (in Scotland) victims, as well as early medical researchers. I'm hoping to use this challenge to keep the momentum going on these two projects, as I've already written a bit on them, but don't want to get discouraged and let myself stop! 

I really believe in challenging myself, especially now that I'm out of college and working everyday. When you work in a job that isn't creative or academic based, it can start to feel like your brain gets in a rut. Being creative and someone who absolutely loves to learn, that can be really difficult! I really hope this challenge will break me out of my creative rut and get me feeling good again. Here's hoping! 

Hope you all have a fabulous start to September! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog! :]
xo Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...